Friday, March 5, 2010

James can really hit you hard!


Speaking to non-believing rich men, James says, "Weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the righteous person. He does not resist you."
He speaks of how the people horded their money and belongings and they fattened themselves like a cow gorging himself before he is to be slaughtered. He speaks so harshly to these people who never helped anyone but themselves and even says to them that their money and belongings will corroded and that corrosion will eat their flesh like fire. The great thing for us is that we are saved by grace and grace alone and there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Praise the Lord for this. For without Him, we were in this same boat. Yet at the same time I ask myself, without condemnation but with eyes to see, "Why is my reflection not that different from the fat cow? If there is repentance, the turning away from sin, then why does my lifestyle still reflect one who is living on the earth in luxury and self-indulgence?" It's time for me to change my reflection and follow Christ whole-heartedly. To live our lives as He commanded us to. To be doers of the word not just hearers getting gorged.

2 comments:

  1. Amen bro! That passage gets me everytime I read it. Convicting for sure. But also it spurs me on to seek after the Kingdom of God first and quit indulging myself (fattening the cow so to speak). I pray that God would keep this message fresh in my heart and enable me to live more and more for eternity.

    ReplyDelete